Thursday, June 18, 2015

Where I stand: Freedom

There are lots of opinions on everything nowadays. Sometimes I feel like one side dominates over the other, even to the point of silencing arguments. Fear runs rampant, and people are cared to voice their differing views in case they are ridiculed. Well, I say enough.
Right here, I'm going to voice what I have to say. I know people will disagree, but I hope those who agree but feel down trodden know they aren't alone.
To start with, I don't believe in being Liberal or Conservative. I don't believe in following one party or another. I believe by claiming one side or another, we cause division and contention. Both sides have good points and bad. All politicians are human, thus making them a combination of liars and honest. No one is perfect. Everyone does their best, some better than others, yes, but I believe in our society people are trying their best to follow what they believe to be right.
In the western world, we are blessed to have many freedoms. Freedoms often won through blood, sweat, and tears. How often do we pause to give thanks that we can voice our opinions freely because of the sacrifice of others? Or do we forget that we have this privilege due to wars and sacrifice? Shouldn't this then mean we should let others around us feel differently and also voice their views and feelings?
Freedom was not born in America, neither is it exclusive to America. Democracy was born in Ancient Greece, and developed throughout the centuries. In England, we see the rise of freedom through the Magna Carta, a charter which the Founding Fathers used to help the build the American Constitution. Thus, we see a trail showing freedom as we know it as a western society trait.
But what is freedom?
Freedom is the right, no, I should say, the privilege to choose our own path, our own destiny. I say it's a privilege rather than a right because rights are things that are essential for living. Things like clean food and water, shelter from the elements, and a safe place to rest. There are many countries out there where people do not have these rights, places like Burma, that are so often forgotten as we whine about our own lack of "rights". The point is, anything outside of these living conditions is a privilege bought and paid for in blood. This gives us the freedom to choose our careers, our social circles, our religions, our sexuality, who leads our nations, and just about everything in our day to day lives. Because of this freedom, we can say things in ignorance or through solid study and not be ridiculed for it... technically.
Let's remember freedom is for everyone, not just the people who agree with you. Freedom gives everyone the ability to say "I agree" or "I disagree" without it breeding fear, hate, and intolerance. Freedom is for everyone who will embrace it. Let's not stifle it by silencing our opposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment